AmeriCorps Seniors – RSVP
New Brand, Same Legacy
The AmeriCorps Seniors Program (RSVP) enhances the lives of adults 55 years of age and older by providing them with meaningful volunteer opportunities. As part of the National Senior Service Corps, AmeriCorps Seniors – RSVP is funded by the Corporation for National and Community Service and locally by Southeastern Community College and the Columbus County Commissioners.
AmeriCorps Seniors – RSVP has served Columbus County since 1973. Over 300 men and women volunteer in a number of public and private nonprofit agencies and organizations, including civic clubs. AmeriCorps Seniors – RSVP volunteers are giving in excess of 61,790 hours of service each year to our communities in Columbus County. The volunteers are able to give their time and talents back to the community.
AmeriCorps Seniors – RSVP volunteers work in a variety of areas, including childcare, crime prevention, literacy, nutrition, and health care. They provide food and clothes to the needy, teach children to read, deliver hot meals to seniors, or bring smiles to hospital or rest home patients.
The volunteer determines how much time to give and to which assignments. Columbus County is fortunate to have one of the 700 local programs nationwide, and one of the 17 in NC.
Fast Facts about AmeriCorps Seniors – RSVP
- Volunteers receive free supplemental liability insurance
- Affordable group trips
- Community of friends and support
- Limited reimbursement for travel expenses
- Research shows that an active individual is happier and healthier!
- AmeriCorps Seniors – RSVP saves the community money through community service hours, reduction in individual health and emotional issues and development of community spirit
- There are NO FEES to participate in AmeriCorps Seniors – RSVP
- Volunteer as LITTLE or as MUCH as YOU have time
- Short application to register with AmeriCorps Seniors – RSVP
- Very little paperwork to report your monthly volunteer activities
- Lifetime of fun and friendship!
Interested in learning more about Volunteer Management? SCC offers an online class: Basics in Volunteer Management. The course covers volunteer recruitment, retention, risk management, and recognition.
Want to develop your leadership skills? AmeriCorps Seniors – RSVPis seeking students to take the 21-hour Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) training. The training covers basic skills that are important to know in a disaster when emergency services are not available.
With training, practice and by working as a team, you will be able to do the greatest good for the greatest number of people after a disaster, while protecting yourself from becoming a victim.