Procedure 5.36.01 - Working Hours
The standard workweek for employees is 38 hours per week (1,976 hours per year). The workweek for all college employees runs from the start of work on Monday (7:00 a.m.) to the start of work (7:00 a.m.) on the next Monday.
- The normal operating hours of the College are 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m., Monday through Thursday and 8:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. on Friday of each week except on holidays, periods of adverse weather, summer schedule, and other emergencies. Some services, classes, and activities may operate during the evenings or on weekends. The President may adjust the operating hours as necessary.
- Any approved leave, i.e. vacation leave, on a day(s) with adjusted administrative operating hours, will be charged to the employee based upon a standard eight and one half hour workday, Monday through Thursday, and a six-hour workday on Friday during Fall and Spring semesters or a modified schedule during the Summer Semester. Sick leave will be charged to faculty members based upon a standard eight-hour workday, Monday through Friday.
- The College reserves the right to call upon employees to work beyond the normally scheduled work hours in emergency, urgent, or special situations. Adjustments of working hours and compensation related to emergency closings and disruptive activities will be made at the discretion of the President.
- When the activities of a department require an alternative schedule to meet the needs of the college and its students, a supervisor may authorize an alternative schedule, upon consultation with the appropriate Vice President or other Senior Administrator. Permanent changes in the work schedule must be approved by the Executive Vice President or Chief Operations Officer in advance of the change in scheduling.
- All employees of the College will be required to participate in Graduation ceremonies, All Employee Days and other mandatory workdays scheduled by the College. Graduation day for the college is considered a normal workday in the schedule.
- Non-instructional employees and instructional staff should follow the regularly scheduled work hours described above.
- An hour for lunch will be taken daily. The lunch break should not be used to shorten the workday, or be credited for overtime compensation, unless expressly approved in advance by the employee’s respective Vice President. Such actions should be for a defined period, not as a permanent accommodation.
- Employees whose principal duty stations require them to be at their desks or confined to their offices are entitled to a fifteen (15) minute break in each half of the workday. Supervisors are to schedule the break time, and at no time is a break period to interfere with a service to students, institutional operations, or completion of an assigned duty. Break times are considered as paid time worked.
- Instructional staff members are classified as professional “exempt level” employees and as professionals will work until duties and responsibilities are completed as any other professional personnel of the College. The standard workweek for instructional staff is 38 hours per week. Time spent should include but not be limited to the following activities: all instructional hours, office hours, student advisement, professional development, program development, committee work, recruiting both onsite and off campus, and other scheduled meetings or college activities i.e., committee and work groups, graduation ceremonies, and All Employee meetings.
Flexibility is an essential part of instructional staff scheduling. When activities require alternative schedules to meet the needs of the college and its students, alternative work schedules may be required. This may include but not be limited to variations in start and departure times. However, it will not alter the total number of hours worked in a workweek. Working from home is not included in this option. All flexible arrangements must be approved by the supervisor.
Instructional staff workload will consist of 38 hours per week. Instructional staff will be compensated for hours worked over 38-hours.
Staff Time Keeping
- A Time Sheet or timecard shall be completed weekly by each hourly and non-exempt salary (clerical, technical/paraprofessional) paid employee.
- Signatures (not initials) of the employee and the immediate supervisor serve as verification that the hours recorded are accurate.
- Signed Time Sheets must be forwarded directly to the Payroll Department no later than the 10th workday following the end of the month.
- Faculty members are classified as professional “exempt level” employees and as professionals will work until duties and responsibilities are completed as any other professional personnel of the College. Full-time faculty are expected to be on campus, in labs, and/or in clinicals Monday – Friday for 30 hours per week, which includes 5 office hours on campus (with at least one office hour scheduled per day) at varied times convenient to the public and to students in the content area. Time spent on campus should include but not be limited to the following activities: all instructional hours, office hours, student advisement, professional development, program development, committee work, recruiting both onsite and off campus, and other scheduled meetings or college activities as established in Procedure 3.01.15: Curriculum Faculty Workload, i.e., faculty workdays, graduation ceremonies, and all employee meetings.
- Office hours should be scheduled to provide the greatest number of students with an opportunity for advising/counseling/instructional feedback; however, instructors are expected to make themselves reasonably available to students on request. Faculty office hour schedules should not overlap with other faculty members of the same instructional content area and/or program area and are subject to supervisor approval.
- Faculty will be on campus 30 hours per week with the expectation that they will work an additional 8 hours individually to complete necessary duties as needed and assigned.
- Recruiting and/or outreach events and scheduled meetings that occur outside of the faculty member’s scheduled time on campus for the semester will be a part of professional duties required as they are with other College professional personnel. Faculty members should not adjust their schedules for the week to make up for time spent attending a meeting and/or outreach event if these events occasionally occur as a part of professional personnel duties.
- Faculty will not be required to hold office hours on days on which they are scheduled to teach six (6) or more consecutive lecture, lab, or clinical hours, including those that have face-to-face off-site instruction. Faculty with this type of schedule must hold at least two (2) office hours per day on the days that consecutive lecture, lab, or clinical instruction is not scheduled for six (6) or more contact hours, to reach the five (5) office hour requirement. Office hour schedules are subject to supervisor approval.
- Faculty members must ensure they are accessible to students outside the classroom and publish office hours and other ways (e.g., telephone, email, etc.) they can be contacted in their Instructor’s Syllabus.
- Subject to supervisor and Vice President approval, faculty members may schedule 2 personal days per fall and spring semester as outlined in Policy 5.24: Personal Leave. Requests must be in writing and submitted one week in advance of the requested time off and must not conflict with the normal schedule of students in class. If the time off is needed during normally scheduled class time, the faculty member must make arrangements to have another faculty member cover the class or procure an instructor to cover the class during the time off.
Revised: November 21, 2016, April 26, 2022
Reviewed: June 8, 2021, April 26, 2022