Southeastern Community College Launches New Truck Driver Training Program to Address Workforce Demand and Increase Opportunities for Columbus County
Wednesday, June 21st, 2023
Southeastern Community College (SCC) is excited to announce the introduction of its comprehensive Truck Driver Training Program, in collaboration with Caldwell Community College and Technical Institute (CCC&TI). This initiative aims to expand access to high-demand training and credentialing, focusing on rural North Carolina, particularly in the Columbus County area.
Recognizing the need for increased labor force participation and job opportunities, SCC and CCC&TI have joined forces to provide excellent training and career prospects to individuals from diverse backgrounds. The program is designed to ensure equal access and opportunities for all aspiring truck drivers in the region.
Through the Truck Driver Training Program, SCC and CCC&TI will equip students with the skills necessary to meet the growing demand for truck drivers in the area. The program’s curriculum encompasses both classroom instruction and practical driving experience, enabling students to develop the expertise required for a successful career in the industry.
Key highlights of the Truck Driver Training Program include:
- Workforce Demand: The Cape Fear Workforce Development Board (WDB) area projects an annual growth forecast of +1.3% in the Heavy and Tractor-Trailer Truck drivers Career Outlook, with an estimated demand of 377 drivers per year.
- Lucrative Career Opportunities: Truck driving offers promising career prospects, with the median annual wage for Heavy and Tractor-Trailer Truck drivers in the Cape Fear region exceeding the average private-sector wage in the area.
- Employer Support: SCC has received strong support from regional trucking employers, who have expressed their endorsement for the Truck Driver Training program. These employers have identified a combined annual hiring need of approximately 30 truck drivers.
- Bridging the Workforce Gap: Recent economic reports highlight the transportation and logistics industry as one of the fastest-growing sectors in the region, presenting significant job opportunities. The transportation sector in Columbus County alone had between 80 to 156 unfilled job openings in 2021, and this gap is expected to increase over the next five years. Truck driving is identified as a critical skill in the transportation industry, offering competitive salaries.
- Excellent Return on Investment: Graduates of CCC&TI’s truck driver training program have experienced an impressive return on investment, with many earning substantial salaries within the first year of employment. The industry’s current labor shortages and rising wages suggest an even higher return on investment for program completers.
By introducing this Truck Driver Training Program, SCC aims to empower individuals from all backgrounds with the skills and opportunities needed to thrive in the trucking industry. The program will contribute to the region’s economic growth and provide a pathway to rewarding and sustainable careers for aspiring truck drivers.
With this high-demand industry you can go straight to work in just 9 ½ weeks. Financial assistance may be available to help pay for training.
Those interested in this opportunity are encouraged to attend orientation on July 13th 1pm -3pm in T-Building, Room 120 on SCC’s Main Campus. All are welcome to participate in orientation, but seating for the class is limited, so don’t miss out. The next orientation will be held September 21, 2023.
Classes and hands-on training for the new Truck Driver Training program will be held at 594 Main Street Fair Bluff, NC. The schedule will be Monday – Wednesday 8am – 5:30pm, Thursday 8am-2:30pm, and Fridays online.
CCC&TI will also be hiring three part-time instructors for the Truck Driver Training program. More information about these instructor positions can be found at the CCC&TI website.
For more information about the program contact SCC’s CE department at (910) 788-6350.