Free College for Eligible 2021 High School Graduates
Wednesday, June 2nd, 2021
The Governor’s office announced the Longleaf Commitment Grant, a program for eligible 2021 North Carolina high school graduates who plan to attend Southeastern Community College starting in the Fall 2021 semester for up to two years.
The grant will guarantee that students receive enough financial aid to cover tuition and fees to earn an associate degree and/or credits to transfer to a four-year institution. Full-time eligible students are guaranteed to receive $700 to $2,800 per year, for a total of two years. Less than full-time students may receive a partial award.
North Carolina has received a total of $137.8 million in aid from the Governors Emergency Education Relief (GEER) fund through federal COVID-19 relief packages. To date, the Governor has awarded $15 million to NC community colleges to fund tuition assistance grants for students in high-demand workforce training programs.
“This is wonderful news for prospective students,” said Dr. Chris English, President at SCC. “These funds will help incoming students achieve their academic goals, secure a well-paying job, or pursue further education and graduate SCC debt-free.”
- Graduate from a North Carolina high school in 2021
- Be a North Carolina resident for tuition purposes
- Be a first-time college student (CCP and Early College students are eligible)
- Enroll in a curriculum program during the 2021-2022 academic year
- Enroll in at least 6 credit hours per semester
- Complete the FREE application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for 2021-2022
- Have an Exceptional Family Contribution (EFC) from $0-$15,000 (EFC is based upon student’s FAFSA determination)
- Renew FAFSA for the 2022-2023 academic year and meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements of the college verification is completed. Eligible students will receive an award letter from SCC’s financial aid office. This is a newly created grant, please allow time for award letters to be sent in July 2021.
How to get started:
Registration for the fall semester is OPEN. The College encourages students to register early to get the classes they need.
To talk with a Financial Aid advisor or learn about ways to pay for college call (910) 788-6214.