TEAS Testing at SCC
The ATI TEAS, or Test of Essential Academic Skills, is a standardized test designed specifically to assess a student’s preparedness for entering the health science fields. Questions are designed to test the basic academic skills you will need to perform successfully in the areas of: Reading, Math, Science, and English and Language Usage.
The TEAS exam is for students planning to apply for admission to a SCC Nursing Program. For students who have tested at institutions other than SCC, you must send your official TEAS transcripts to SCC prior to the application process. No partial transcripts will be accepted. Official TEAS transcripts must be requested and sent directly from ATI through your personal ATI account.
TEAS testing through SCC is only available to current SCC students planning to apply for a SCC Nursing Program. Students who are not current SCC students may register and take TEAS directly through ATI.
Cost to Take TEAS
$70 + tax paid online by credit or debit card on the day of the exam.
Prepare for Success
Sufficient preparation for the TEAS is strongly recommended. Don’t wait – start studying for the TEAS as early as possible.
ATI, the official provider of prep for the exam, recommends that you allow yourself at least six weeks to prepare for the exam.
There are a variety of prep resources available to help you study for the test – all aligned to the ATI TEAS, Version 7 and packed with thousands of practice questions based on the content and format of the actual exam.
The following links can help you study and prepare to be successful on your first TEAS attempt:
Southeastern Community College Workforce Continuing Education also offers TEAS Prep Courses through Ed2Go. Please contact Brenda Orders for more information about SCC’s TEAS Prep Courses.
All TEAS exams are administered remotely. Students must have access to a compatible computer, software, and reliable internet to complete the exam.
The following dates are available for testing through SCC:
- January 11, 2023 @ 1 p.m.
- February 1, 2023 @ 1 p.m.
- March 1, 2023 @ 1 p.m.
- April 5, 2023 @ 1 p.m.
- May 3, 2023 @ 1 p.m.
- June 7, 2023 @ 1 p.m.
- July 5, 2023 @ 1 p.m.
- August 2, 2023 @ 1 p.m.
- September 6, 2023 @ 1 p.m.
- October 4, 2023 @ 1 p.m.
- November 1, 2023 @ 1 p.m.
- December 6, 2023 @ 1 p.m.
Students must schedule a testing date at least 24 hours in advance using their SCC email address. On the morning of the scheduled exam, students will receive an access code at least 30 minutes prior to the start time of the exam via their SCC email.
Schedule the TEAS Exam
There are several steps required prior to scheduling your TEAS exam. It is necessary to complete these steps in the order they are listed. Failure to follow the steps in order may affect your ability to test successfully.
Please follow the steps below in the order they are listed:
- Create an ATI account if you do not already have an account.
- Review the Student Quick Start Guide for ATI Remote Proctoring with Proctorio in full.
- Watch the complete Student Orientation Video for ATI Remote Proctoring with Proctorio and follow the instructions.
- Complete the TEAS Test Dry Run by using the instructions in steps 2 & 3 on the computer you will use to complete the exam.
- Schedule your TEAS exam using the link below.
- You may only schedule one exam at a time.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION AND FAQS
- Why do I have to take the TEAS?
- The ATI TEAS has been statistically proven to be a valid predictor of early nursing school success. Your score on the TEAS is one measure of academic preparedness that helps Southeastern Community College consider your acceptance into its nursing program(s).
- What does the TEAS exam consist of?
- The ATI TEAS test is comprised of 170 questions that are formatted as both multiple-choice items with 4 answer options and alternate-type items. This includes 150 scored questions and 20 unscored pretest questions. Students have 209 minutes to complete the exam.
- ATI TEAS, version 7, the number of questions in each content section and subsection are as follows:
- Reading – 45 questions (55 minutes)
- Key Ideas & Details – 15
- Craft & Structure – 9
- Integration of Knowledge & Ideas – 15
- Unscored Pretest Items – 6
- Math – 38 questions (57 minutes)
- Numbers & Algebra – 18
- Measurement & Data – 16
- Unscored Pretest Items – 4
- Science – 50 questions (60 minutes)
- Human Anatomy & Physiology – 18
- Biology – 9
- Chemistry – 8
- Scientific Reasoning – 9
- Unscored Pretest Items – 6
- English & Language Usage – 37 questions (37 minutes)
- Conventions of Standard English – 12
- Knowledge of Language – 11
- Using Language and Vocabulary to Express Ideas in Writing – 10
- Unscored Pretest Items – 4
- What are the TEAS score requirements for each nursing program?
- Effective December 2, 2021 the Associate Degree and Practical Nursing Programs will require a minimum composite TEAS Score of 59% overall to be eligible for admission to either program. Scores from more than one TEAS exam may not be combined to meet the minimum requirement. Composite scores below 59% will not be accepted.
- How long are my TEAS scores valid?
- TEAS scores are valid for 2 years prior to the program application period.
- How many times can I take the TEAS exam if I do not meet requirements on my first attempt?
- You may take the TEAS exam up to 3 times in one calendar year.
- If you are scheduling a second or third TEAS retake, you must have at least 2 weeks between testing attempts.
- I have met the required TEAS scores between multiple testing attempts.
- You may not combine scores from multiple testing attempts to meet the minimum requirements.
- I have additional questions about the TEAS exam. Who can I contact?