College Transfer

Are you thinking of completing a two-year college transfer degree and then transferring to a four-year college or university?

Which SCC majors transfer?

If you plan to continue your education after receiving your associate degree, Southeastern Community College offers two transfer degrees: Associate in Arts (AA) and Associate in Science (AS).

Associate in Art, A.A.

This degree program provides a general education for students who wish to continue their studies at a four-year institution. It promotes a comprehensive view of the liberal arts with an appropriate balance of knowledge in the humanities, fine arts, mathematics, natural sciences, and social and behavioral sciences.

Associate in Science, A.S.

This degree program provides a concentration in mathematics and physical and life sciences. While this program emphasizes critical analysis and the judgmental skills inherent in the disciplines of science and mathematics, the curriculum also promotes an understanding and appreciation of the arts and humanities.

Associate in Arts and Associate in Science Teacher Preparation

The Associate in Arts in Teacher Preparation and the Associate in Science in Teacher Preparation degrees are designed so students can complete their first two years at SCC and then transfer to a university to complete their bachelor’s degree in education, which is a requirement to become a certified teacher.

How Do I Transfer?

The University of North Carolina system has established Minimum Course Requirements (MCR) to enter any UNC system school. SCC offers three options to meet the minimum course requirements for transfer:

  • Graduate with an AA or AS degree
  • Complete the 44-hour general education transfer core as described in the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA).
  • Complete six semester hours each of English, math, science, social science, and foreign language with a grade of “C” or better in each course.

If you have any questions about your admissibility to the UNC institution(s) you are considering, contact the admissions office of the college or university directly.

University recruiters periodically visit SCC. Please check with the SCC Student Services for a schedule. For more information, please contact or 910.788.6327.

What is the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement and why is it important to me?

The Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA) is a statewide agreement governing the transfer of credits between N. C. community colleges and N. C. public universities. There are also many private colleges and universities in North Carolina that endorse the CAA. The CAA specifies courses that will satisfy pre-major and general education requirements and identifies community college courses that are appropriate for transfer. Students may view SCC courses approved for transfer in the college catalog. An asterisk (*) following a course title indicates the course is considered transferable under the CAA and ICAA to four-year institutions. Two asterisks (**) following a course title indicates the course is universally transferable to all UNC institutions as part of the Universal General Education Transfer Component (UGETC). Earning a C or better grade in a UGETC course, guarantees the transferability of that specific course, regardless of whether or not the student completes the transfer degree.

When should I begin the transition for my bachelor’s degree?

To begin the transfer process, talk to an SCC student services staff member or your advisor as soon as you start taking classes. Next, research different colleges or universities in which you may be interested. Find out their admissions requirements and schedule visits to see the campuses firsthand. Students may research N. C. colleges and universities online at Also, see university transfer plans on the University of North Carolina  and the NC Independent Colleges and University websites. Following application to a four-year institution, you will need to request official transcripts from your high school and SCC, as well as any other colleges previously attended. See the SCC student services staff for transfer assistance.

Guaranteed Admissions for University Transfer

Students who participate in one of the guaranteed admission programs are considered fully admitted to the community college and conditionally admitted to either ECU, NC Wesleyan, NC State, or UNCW. Successful completion of any college transfer degree program grants the student guaranteed admission to the four-year institution.

Student Benefits

  • Waived transfer application fee
  • Access to advisors at the transfer school
  • Baccalaureate degree program planning and preparation for a successful transition
  • Visits from transfer school representatives including admissions and financial aid
  • Access to select campus facilities at transfer school
  • Access to campus programming and student activities and organizations

Participating Universities

East Carolina University – Pirate Promise

Pirate Promise is a transfer program agreement with ECU and SCC. Students in their first year of coursework at SCC may apply to ECU for Pirate Promise. Accepted students are guaranteed admission to ECU after completing an approved associate degree. See the link above for qualifications and application instructions.

Gardner-Webb University – Transfer Admission Promise

Transfer Admission Promise (TAP) is a guaranteed transfer admission agreement with Gardner-Webb University. Under the agreement, SCC graduates who complete Associate in Arts, Associate in Science, Associate in Applied Science or Associate in General Education degrees will be guaranteed admission to GWU.

Lees-McRae College – Guaranteed Admission Program

The Guaranteed Admission Program (GAP) is for students who plan to transfer to Lees-McRae College after completing an Associate degree. Any SCC student who earns an Associate of Arts (A.A.), Associate in Science (A.S.), or Associate in Applied Science (A.A.S.) will be automatically admitted to Lees-McRae College with the required minimum GPA for the program for which they are applying. Located in Banner Elk, NC, Lees-McRae offers 24 undergraduate degrees and 5 online degree completion programs

 UNC Pembroke – BraveStep

BraveStep creates a pathway for prospective UNCP students to begin their college career at SCC and transfer to UNCP after completing required credits. Selected applicants will be co-admitted to UNCP and SCC and will receive academic advising from both institutions while at SCC. Students will be required to complete the regular UNCP application process.

UNC Wilmington – Pathways

UNCW is in the process of re-launching the guaranteed transfer admission program (formerly Pathways to Excellence), re-branded as PathWays. The PathWays program will provide guaranteed access for students transferring between the North Carolina Community College System and the UNCW System. It is a pathway for guaranteed transfer admission to UNCW for students completing an AA, AS, AATP, or ASTP from a North Carolina Community College. The PathWays program will re-launch in January 2024. Students who have not yet joined UNCW’s guaranteed admission program can indicate their interest here, and more information will be provided once the program re-launches. Any students who had previously opted into Pathways to Excellence will automatically be transitioned in to the new program, pending a partnership agreement with their community college.

NOTE: Guaranteed admission to a university does not constitute admission to a specific program.


Julia Roberts


(910) 788-6327

A-Building, Rm 124